Sunday, December 4, 2011

Mini 19

Mini 19 relates to a larger scale (24 x 48 in) work on panel that's currently in process. Often, smaller works precede larger ones, but in this instance, I started the larger work first, and liked it so much that I decided to make a mini with a similar theme. The relationship between the minis and my other work is a complicated one. One question I've been asked is if I'm working on the mini project in place of my life-sized scale work, and the answer is no, the minis are in addition to my other work (which can be seen on my artist page - http://klacsmann.weebly.com/ ) In general, my larger works take months (sometimes years), so I don't write about them on the blog because I think it would get kind of boring: "working on...still working on...and still working on." In that regard, it's been nice having the minis because they allow me to feel like I accomplish something concrete each week, and having a weekly deadline helps me get myself into the studio daily, even when I'm tired, busy, or overwhelmed. The process of digitally documenting the project has also kept me on my toes as, believe it or not, despite being part of the millennial generation, I'm kind of suspicious of technology (long story for another day perhaps). On the other hand, it's hard for me to see exactly how individual minis contribute to my larger works because I may make 20 or 30 minis and still be working on the same painting (at this point, one of my larger, in-process paintings still predates the minis and is unlikely to be complete when the minis project concludes. I work on 2 to 3 life-sized scale works at a time). While, being in the midst of the project, it's hard for me to see how specific minis impact my other work, I feel like they're given me the chance to test new materials, techniques, and content, so for now, I'll hold on to hope that hindsight turns out to be 20/20.

Miniature #19 - November 28 - December 4, 2011, 2.5 x 3.5 in, charcoal, pencil and acrylic on paper board