Friday, August 19, 2011

First Mini Sculpture

I love painting (especially tiny painting), but I also love sculpture. An odd fact about me - my undergrad work is in sculpture and my grad training focused on mixed media, general arts. Despite this, I haven't made much sculpture over the last few years, because I let myself be overwhelmed by the logistics involved - accessing equipment and tools, the cost of materials, moving and storing the finished work, etc. However, I'd like to be the kind of artist who works with logistical issues rather than against them, and I think this project provides a helpful framework for me to dip my toes back into the sculpture pool.

Miniature #4 - August 14 - 20, 2011, 4.5 H x 2.25D, mixed media

So making this sculpture was an adventure. It includes dirt from my yard and some of the tiniest drawings I've made so far.

I included a close-up of the birds which are ink drawings on paper below. While drawing/painting small may be challenging, I've learned that cutting out something this small - and then not loosing it - is a challenge in itself.


The task had an added element of difficulty considering I had a purring "helper" sitting on my paper and occasionally head butting my elbows. While this did complicate things somewhat - could you ever be annoyed at a creature with a face like this? Didn't think so :)