Sunday, August 28, 2011

First Mini Print

So in the last month, not 1, not 2, but 3 friends have spontaneously sent me art work or printed examples of their work. Getting these surprises in the mail has really brightened my days, and I feel so lucky to have such thoughtful friends. I'd really like to send them each something in return (and particularly a mini); however, I also want to try to keep the minis that are part of the project together for now - fortunately there's a solution to this problem - printmaking! My goal for this week was to make a small edition of prints. (I say goal, because in actuality, I completed the block and hand printed a few images, one of which is the miniature for this week (below), but I'm still working on the "editioning" aspect. In my defense, I will say, the absence of a press does present some interesting challenges.)

Miniature #5 - August 21 - 27, hummingbird, 2 x 3 in., hand printed, woodblock on 5 x 7 in. mulberry paper.

sheet of proofs - adjusting the ink viscosity and pressure.