Sunday, April 1, 2012

mini 35

Miniature #35 - March 26 - April 1, 2012, 5.5 x 5 in, mixed media collage

I've been exploring a new material for minis 33 and 35 - color vellum.  While I work with a lot of different materials, one commonality among most of my work is that I like to work in layers.  This material allows me to work in both dark and light media on the front, back, and underlying surfaces.

As far as the content - I love so many art works that it would be hard for me to ever come up with a non-book-length list, but this is one of my "favorite-favorites": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flandrin,_Hippolyte_(1805-1864)_-_Jeune_homme_nu_assis.._1855_-_Louvre.jpg  Maps are something I've worked with in the past, but they've been making a reappearance lately as I search for a city - one with a significant art scene, jobs, affordable housing/studio space, and either extensive public transportation or not see-my-life-flash-before-my-eyes scary traffic.  I've looked at a lot of maps, but haven't found Utopia on any of them yet; so, for now, I'm still searching. (It remains to be seen whether cutting up the maps to make collages out of them will prove to be helpful...)