Saturday, April 21, 2012

mini 38

Miniature #38 - April 16 - 22, 2012,  6.5 x 6.5 in,  ballpoint pen and acrylic on panel
Ah, mini 38!  The color is not me manipulating the saturation on the image - it's actually neon, highlighter yellow, and I love it!  There is something so satisfying to me about the sharp flatness of the background against the almost obsessive, volumetric hatching of the forms.  For a while now, I've been feeling like I'm almost on to something, but then it slips away before I can catch it - like the feeling when you know you're forgetting something important, but can't remember exactly what the thing is, only that it's important and missing.  I feel like I finally had a breakthrough with this one (and it only took me 37 other tries to get there - haha)!  Now, all I want to do is make more (I started preparing a full-sized panel before the paint was even dry on this one and splurged and bought a $3 pack of assorted color ballpoint pens, so now I have 8 colors to work with instead of just blue, red, and black.) I wish I could hole up in a cabin in the woods and just paint and draw all day.  Unfortunately, that's not exactly an option right now, but I feel motivated to try and make it work in the here/now.  We'll see how it goes, but every time I look at this I see a whole body of work instead of a fragment, and I am so excited (just trying to make sure I draw it all down in the magic black sketchbook)!