Monday, July 10, 2017

rose branch block - complete

The rose branch is done (and tied with a bow ;) ) ! Whew - I can't believe it's ready to proof. 

Facebook kindly reminded me that it's been a year this week since I printed my first large MDF block with Big Ink! On the one hand, it's hard to believe it's been a year; on the other hand, I think of all the large MDF blocks I've carved since then (in addition to the Gothic tree, the fox body, the tree trunk, the branches and mushrooms, the phoenix, the unicorn body, the turret, and now - the rose branch.) Along the way there have been lots of small blocks and the large landscape woodblock. On the one hand, I've made lots of parts; on the other hand, I'm still working on how to bring those parts together.  


I also started carving this border as an alternative piece to go between the turrets (inspired by
tile design and a border in the Book of Hours of Jeanne d'Evreux that I photographed last month at the Cloisters Museum.
close up  of The Hours of Jeanne d'Evreux
by Jean Pucelle, 1324-28 at the Cloisters Museum
http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/470309

My faithful feline assistants have been with me the whole time - in pretty much the exact same spots (Sometimes, I think it would be funny to do a time lapse video of the carving process from above, in rapid stop motion so that my hands seem to move super fast, the block develops slowly...and the kitties remain in their same napping spots the whole time, Hahaha). I certainly appreciate their company and patience.

Honey was also a faithful companion this week (naturally! :) ), and I especially like this picture of her looking like she's front and center in a Hudson River School painting :).

In para-art news, the garden has beautiful flower and there have been some extra-pretty sunsets this week.