This week, as I continued sewing elements onto the ground, I thought "wouldn't it be nice if there were some butterflies." (Honey Wonder-pup and I have been seeing lots of butterflies recently on our adventures). I have lots of insects - but (surprisingly) no butterflies. Sooooo, now I have 5, a variety of sizes, views and wing patterns, (and a beetle).
Of course, I couldn't decide before seeing them in the composition what colors I'd need, so I printed a variety.
|a preview of what it might look like (once I decide on the final location, I'll tone the extra paper to match the background)|
last week that I (thought) the front layer was finished...
I realized this week that I forgot about attaching the chain to the ground. I decided it needed a ground stake, so I carved what is possibly the most random block ever.
|pseudo-tapestry in progress - since I'm adding tiny elements and trying to make the stitching as unobtrusive as possible, I feel like it pretty much looks the same now week to week.|
I also took a field trip with friends to Troy, NY to meet with other artists and see a show at The Arts Center of the Capital Region and a new gallery, Scarlet Seven Gallery. An excellent adventure!
We stopped at St. Paul's church. It had been a while since I'd been there (I think the last time was April 2014) and seeing the stained glass was a good opportunity to take another close look at the way the landscape elements are put together. (pictures for comparison)
|"Kingfisher," by Eli Merritt|
Lots of art adventures! Honey Wonder-pup and I went to see more waterfalls (look at her in her adorable new cooling bandana :) )
And in the garden - lot of flowers and the first berries of the season!