Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Polyester lithography

A busy week in Artlandia!

all 4 with my toes for scale
This week I was working on a polyester lithography plate. I made the image by digitally layering and combining scans of my relief prints. (There's also scans of part of a map of NY and a 1099 tax form under the grass.)  I haven't always had the best success printing multiples of polyester lithography plates, but I'm happy to say that I feel like these turned out well.  I think the key was printing on the paper while it was still damp from marbling (however, marbling the paper first meant I really, really didn't want any mis-prints, and luckily, there weren't any - thumbs up!) The goal is for these to become backgrounds for new collages.

new polyester lithography print, app. 9 x 12"

I also continued working on the torso of the life-scale figure (here with all the tools I used for that session of carving and a marker for scale.)

In creature news, Honey and I are working on expanding the gesture and command for "bed" to apply to various textile rectangles in different spaces so that, if I'm selected for a fellowship and we're working in an unfamiliar space, she'll be able to recognize her special spot. This is challenging because it involves her being able to combine an action (down-stay) with recognition of a category of differing objects (the various "beds").  But I know Honey can do it because she already understands "ball" as "round objects the human throws," and can apply it to new things (like if a box of new toys arrives and I say "ball," she can pick the ball out from among the toys and bring it to me.)
My wonderpup is very smart.

Of course, now that Honey is training to sleep in this spot,
the kittens have decided it must be a very good
napping spot for them too, haha.
In other creature news, I set out to take a picture of  all 4 of my creatures
and caught Momiji mid-leap.  I think this is funny because it was perfect timing
and so characteristic of Mo being very active and
at the center both compositionally and in terms of attention.
I also got some nice landscape/ industrial pictures this week - the funny thing to me is that the colors of these photos are unaltered - they really did look like this.