The mission this week - move toward a kestrel collage.
This required A) finishing and printing the kestrel block (check!)
|marbled paper with image for background, based on scans of|
my blocks and Feline Assistant, Sr. helping with scale.
B) tearing down and marbling the correct size paper (check)
C) creating a background image, getting it on a polyester lithography plate and printing it (check)
One issue that came up with the polyester lithography plate is that I made a single plate on the largest size available to me (10 x 15"); however, the collages I'm aiming for are 16 x 20" and 18 x 24." I could have tiled 2 plates on the press bed, but I decided to try something new and faded the image on the plate toward the edges. Then I printed a landscape block over the whole thing and used drawing materials to fill in the edges (below - polyester plate with relief over it on top, and polyester plate with relief and drawing/ painting materials below.) I think it's going to be fine...but I'm still thinking about the best technique for next time.
Using the polyester plate is a way of combining parts onto a single plate to cut down on the number of collage parts, but I'm still adding individual elements (for example, the little trees in the lower piece.) In theory, I think I could run the paper through the press again with the tree on a separate polyester plate, but I think I still prefer the collage pieces because I can change my mind and move them around.
Then I drew/ painted more and cut out the kestrel and a mouse and other parts (and that's as far as I got - I haven't glued anything down yet). I haven't decided yet whether/ how much more color I want to use.
I got some beautiful landscape photos from a visit to Clermont.
|Also, I have tree-envy for this beautiful Japanese maple in my neighborhood.|
And I caught this adorable picture of Mini in her basket.