Sunday, September 4, 2011

Mini 6


I present to you mini 6. No need to adjust your screen saturation, the palette for this work is black and white with just a hint of color. It's a palette I particularly like and have come to think of as "gray+." This week's mini is mixed media on panel and presented some challenges in that I ended up spending much of the week preparing the panel; however, I think the added prep time ultimately paid off - though it's difficult to see in the photo, the finished surface is almost perfectly smooth! While it may seem odd that I'm so excited by a quality that basically comes down to neatness (yes, the '!' was intentional), it's actually taken me years of guess and check to arrive at the technique for obtaining this type of surface. A hint on my methods - it necessitates much sanding, some cleaning of the environment, and occasional removal of dust which has dried into the surface with a scalpel, then even more sanding. While I do find the surface satisfying, it was a push to finish this one in time (as my friend and neighbor can attest, my studio lights often burn into the no-longer-so-wee hours of the morning), so I while I haven't decided yet what next week's mini will be, I'm pretty sure it won't be on panel.

Miniature #6 - August 28 - September 3, 2011, 4 x 4 in, mixed media on panel