Sunday, September 11, 2011

Mini 7

So 7 weeks into this project, I feel like I may be starting to get the hang of this (somewhat, a little). Working on the same scale this week as mini 1 (3.5 x 2.5 in), I am feeling more comfortable with the tiny scale and have also benefited from some specialized equipment - thank you Mom for the magnification light! After the extreme neatness of mini 6, I needed a change, and so I made mini 7 with a different technique - one which involves wiping the whole image out over and over. It's a layering technique which involves some erasure, and I'm really liking how gritty and dark the image got. The bird is actually metallic gold and a bit shiny. The whole little painting looks a bit to me like the love child of a Brancusi sculpture and a Francis Bacon painting. While I say that jokingly, I used to be a gallery guard in a museum which had works by both artists (as well as by Cornell, another favorite), and I revisited this collection for the first time in years over the summer, and so I do think that maybe it's been rolling around in my mind ever since. Lastly, for those keen observers out there, that is mini 2 that I'm wearing as a necklace in this painting.

Miniature #7 - September 4 - 10, 2011, 3.5 x 2.5 in, mixed media on board