Wednesday, November 14, 2018

kestrel and love birds

A very busy week in Artlandia!

I finished the kestrel collage, 24 x 20" - parts all glued down and color added.

I also made a new 18 x 14" collage using the love birds as a very special wedding present.

In creature news - since Mini was the featured-feline last week, this week I took a sweet picture of the boys (luckily there was no shortage of instances of them being adorable!)

Honey went on outdoor adventures - we're trying to enjoy the outdoors now before it gets cold and the snow comes.

Landscape shots of the week:


Wednesday, November 7, 2018

kestrel and mouse

A busy week in Artlandia!

The mission this week - move toward a kestrel collage.

This required A) finishing and printing the kestrel block (check!)
marbled paper with image for background, based on scans of
my blocks and Feline Assistant, Sr. helping with scale.

 B) tearing down and marbling the correct size paper (check)

C) creating a background image, getting it on a polyester lithography plate and printing it (check)

One issue that came up with the polyester lithography plate is that I made a single plate on the largest size available to me (10 x 15"); however, the collages I'm aiming for are 16 x 20" and 18 x 24." I could have tiled 2 plates on the press bed, but I decided to try something new and faded the image on the plate toward the edges. Then I printed a landscape block over the whole thing and used drawing materials to fill in the edges (below - polyester plate with relief over it on top, and polyester plate with relief and drawing/ painting materials below.) I think it's going to be fine...but I'm still thinking about the best technique for next time. 

Using the polyester plate is a way of combining parts onto a single plate to cut down on the number of collage parts, but I'm still adding individual elements (for example, the little trees in the lower piece.)  In theory, I think I could run the paper through the press again with the tree on a separate polyester plate, but I think I still prefer the collage pieces because I can change my mind and move them around.

Then I drew/ painted more and cut out the kestrel and a mouse and other parts (and that's as far as I got - I haven't glued anything down yet). I haven't decided yet whether/ how much more color I want to use.

I also went to figure drawing for the first time in a while and I think it went ok for been away.
I got some beautiful landscape photos from a visit to Clermont.

Also, I have tree-envy for this beautiful Japanese maple in my neighborhood.
 In creature news, Honey loves fall walks!

And I caught this adorable picture of Mini in her basket.

Wednesday, October 31, 2018


A busy week in Artlandia!  I think this week was the peak of fall colors and I took soooo many landscape photos!

First in terms of art-making - I started another kestrel block. This one is slightly larger, 12 x 12," and the goal is to have more options from which to make a series.

New marbled paper with image for plate -
 Feline Assistant, Sr. helping establish scale.

In trying to place the previous kestrel, I also concluded that these need to be a little bigger, so I marbled paper - 3 sheets of 16 x 20" and 2 sheets of 18 x 24." I made a new polyester lithography plate to use in the background...the only thing is that the larges plates I have are 10 x 15," so I made the plate fade toward the edges so I can fill in parts by hand and (hopefully!) it won't be too jarring.  I may also make a block to print on top of it in front (Hmmmmmm.) 

In creature news, I'm so happy my little flock seems to be so well bonded - they eat and sleep together.

And now...landscape shots. It was so hard to choose!

A few themes emerged: vistas

 Then stand out colors/shapes of trees within a vista

Then individual trees that I like for their color and/or shape

As we can see - it was a very pretty tree week!  Lots of material for future collage landscapes :) 

Tuesday, October 23, 2018


A very busy week in Artlandia! 

Birthday Cake!

First - it was my birthday :) !  I traveled to New York City and got to spend some time with my family and eat delicious food.  As far as art adventures, I also got to see the exhibitions at the Morgan Library, including this print, one of the greatest large scale woodcuts by Titian, "Submersion of Pharoah's Army in the Red Sea," ca. 1515 (check out the cute and frightened little dog by Moses.)

I also got to stop by the Central Park Zoo and see the snow leopard, which I hope will inspire me as I get back to working on the snow leopard collage. I also got to photograph the Blue and Gold Macaw as possible source material for upcoming blocks.

At  the Feick Arts Center, Green Mountain College -
my work on the right with a lovely book by Valerie Carrigan on the left
Back home, I then had two openings in two days. The first was at Green Mountain College in Vermont for the show "Printmaking and the Natural World," and the second was "Show of Heads," at Limner Gallery in Hudson.

After that, I had work to do in the studio painting and patching a wall that at one point, I had painted red for an installation, but now would like white so that I can work on a collage on it - every bit of space counts!

I also added ink and cut out the first kestrel and then put it over a background to see how it would look.  I like the kestrel and was able to correct the line that resulted from damage to the block. (This background is way too small for it, but I wanted to at least get an idea of how it might look.)

Work also continues on the torso block.

Apart from that, walks with Honey enjoying the weather and fall light.

Surprisingly, (at least to me) the garden still has a few last flowers.

And last, but not least, Mo and Honey have been excellent helpers while I was working on the torso block.