...Not gonna lie, super excited about the unicorn [:) !!]
Now you may be thinking "but didn't you already print a unicorn head?" - I printed a unicorn head, but not this unicorn - haha. This one is the final (*hopefully!) version - it's about 20% larger, on toned paper, and heightened with ink, color pencil and acrylic (thumbs up!)
|brand new! 14 x 17" polyester lithography print with added mixed media on toned paper|
I sort of want to get straight to the unicorn (because it's literally hot off the press!), but there were a lot of other things that happened first...
For one thing, I kept working on the plant from last week. I sewed the flowers down with gold thread and think they look nice...but, it seemed like it needed a little something more...
I think this is a little funny because to get the art-ticket to this point I had to smooth out the crumpled ticket, then scan, modify, flip, turn into a plate, ink and run through the press, cut out, hand ink (the gold)... then crumple it back up and put it in the work (haha - from ugly, to beautiful, to ugly, to beautiful...)
During this time, I was also working on the unicorn's neck and tail. I did a lot of research, before ultimately deciding to draw the neck and tail directly on the block - I tried to make the neck so that the head can be positioned pointing up, down, or straight...
|drawing of neck and tail on the block|
I carved the neck, mane and tail block, scanned it and made polyester lithography blocks from it
|polyester lithography blocks of the tail and head placed on top of the paper to figure out the layout|
|I cut the edge of the plates so that they wouldn't|
leave a straight seam...
| to see if that would help make the edges |
of the plates less visible in the finished print
|This is the resulting print before any correction -|
fingers crossed, I think I'll be able to make that seam disappear...
|I did the same thing with the plates for the neck, and will print them this coming week (wish me luck!)|
To join it to the neck, I think I'll need to cut it right behind the jaw and ear so that the line between the pieces won't be obvious and I can adjust the direction that the nose points (up like on a carousel horse, or down like on shield, or straight like on a tapestry...so many options ;) )
Other art things..I'm getting ready to carve a 4 x 2 ft block [! :o ! ] I'm extremely excited to participate in a large-scale print event hosted by Big Ink in June. I'll be getting to test out their new, one-of-a-kind, giant, mobile press (which you too can help make a reality!: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bigink/big-ink-large-woodcut-revolution ). This is incredibly exciting, and I'm eager to get going on the block. It will be the largest single block I've ever carved and it's also a new material to me (MDF).
Step 1 - obtained the block and got it home [check! It's going well already ;) ]. It's a major time investment, so I spent sometime thinking about what I most want on this block.
I decided I want a tree - in particular, I want a tree that I can collage my birds into like the tree from the Creation story in the Nuremberg Chronicles (that I'm semi-obsessed with and nerd out about on the blog every few months - like here O:) ).
|woodblock print illustrating the Fifth Day, from the Nuremberg Chronicle, |
by the workshop of Michael Wolgemut, ca. 1493
|I scanned part of one of my collages with a|
tree from an earlier block
|...now all I have to do is get the tree onto|
the block.[haha :P]