Wednesday, August 7, 2019

April 2019 - more large creature landscapes

As you may notice, it is August and I'm just getting around to processing the April photos - it's been a busy few months, but hopefully the new work is worth the wait :)! 

Sonata in Gray - Swallows, Butterflies, and Can, 40 x 30"
In April, I continued working on the 30 x 40" collages, using the backgrounds I printed from multiple polyester lithography plates at Zea Mays Printmaking in February. It was a long process, but two finished pieces that reached completion in April: Sonata in Gray - Swallows, Butterflies, and Can, and Sonata in Gray - Crows and Frog.
Sonata in Gray - Crows and Frog, 30 x 40"
 The swallows and butterfies came first.  I didn't need to carve and new blocks, but I did need to marble lots and lots of paper to re-print the butterflies in a wide variety of colors.







For the crows piece, even though I just carved a crow facing left, I decided I needed a crow facing right for this piece instead, so I printed the block onto a new block and carved the mirror image.

I got to go on some drives and walks with my favorite human and wonderpup and took lots of landscape photos:









 I love how the sky really looked like the sky in the artwork a lot of the time.  

In cute creature news - my creature family continues to be adorable :D 
Here I am resting on "their" bed, covered in kitties -
I love it when all three snuggle up to me. 
Don't worry, Honey gets lots of love too
A victory in the on-going struggle to get good pictures of Max
in which he doesn't look like (a very cute) black, fuzzy blob
Since all three kitties have birthdays in the spring, I got them a new
cat tower. The little guys let Mini try it first, and she seemed to like it once she
realized it allows her to look down on Honey.
Mo loooooooves sitting in the sink.
The first spring flowers!