Saturday, October 17, 2015

phase 8 - make the right choice easy(er) - continues

I know, it hasn't been a full week yet, but due to a quirk of scheduling, I'm posting a little early. :)

This week started with some much needed studio clean up, research, and preparing new, large(r) plates.

...and this is just the pile of books consulted in this spot;
there's another stack on the desk, and another in the studio...) 
I had a block of drapery significantly started (it's in the photos from last week of my feline assistants). But the longer I worked on it, the more I became convinced that it wasn't right -not the block itself, but that the overall approach feels not quite right (oy.) I'm not sure why, but I felt strongly enough about it that I stopped mid-block (which is unusual, because I really, really hate to waste material by leaving a block unfinished).

I started researching, thinking I'd come across something that would help me figure out what was wrong. (Not yet, though not for lack of trying). The more I look, the more I think maybe what I need is not in a book (hmmmmmm).

Luckily, there are many things to do while I mull it over. First I sorted through a big pile of paper, separating scrap paper into marbled, patterned, and plain, and prints into proofs and finished prints that just haven't found the right collage home yet. Then I continued working on the tiny tarot with the Hanged Man and the Magician (notice all the lovely art supplies on his table ;) ).

Then I prepared new, slightly larger plates and started working on them as soon as the ground was ready.
The ground came out nice and even,
but I had some issues with the stop out
 not preventing stray marks from etching
 (It's always worked well before, so I think I may have
been so eager that I didn't give it long enough to dry?)



started drawing this 7 x 5" floral plate based on Gerard's herbal
Etched this lovely 8 x 12" Gothic capital - my largest plate so far! Looking forward to printing it in a few weeks :).

In para-art news, it's especially fall-beautiful: