Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Demo blocks, flowers, creature togetherness

A busy week in Artlandia!  I've been hard at work carving demo blocks for an upcoming workshop I'll be leading at Women's Studio Workshop in less than a month! 

top left to bottom right: blank block, studio paper transfer, polyester lithography transfer,
saral paper transfer, 3 early stages of carving, carved and proofed block. 
I want to have blocks representing different methods of image transfer as well as different carving stages.  It feels weird leaving the blocks in unfinished states and it was fun when I finally got to the one that I took all the way to print.  

first state proof on left, block on right with quarter for scale


second state proof with quarter for scale
I plan to keep making these to show more post-printing options (printing block to block, changing the scale, zooming in...) so I don't know how many I'll end up with, but I feel like it's a good start.

I've also been working hard to finalize my presentation and notes for a lecture I'm giving on the Nuremberg Chronicles, one of my favorite books, at Historic Northampton this coming week (wish me luck!) 

In creature news - the kitties have really bonded.  I'm pretty sure Mini thinks of the boys as "her" kittens, and they are so cute, the way they come over to her to rest. Mo especially mimics her and Max rubs his cheek against her shoulder wanting to be groomed. I love seeing how happy they all are together and enjoy moving around the house surrounded by a little flock of kitties. 

Apparently, Max is no longer too shy to sleep on Honey's bed with her toy.
Thankfully, Honey is very generous and sweet, though I can almost hear her thinking:
"Now both kittens sleep on my bed? Really Human?" 
On the feline-canine bonding fromt, Max has really come out of his shell and started to bond with Honey.






Meanwhile, in the other room, Momiji is sleeping on her other bed - two dog beds, two kittens.
Here are all 4 creatures in the kitchen with me in a typical tableau: Mini watching over everything, Honey eating a treat, Mo drinking from Honey's water bowl and Max cautiously sphinxing on the periphery near the gate.  
And last, but not least, a nature shot for the week from my garden :) :