Friday, October 28, 2011

Mini 13 and Gertrude Herbert benefit

Miniature #13 - October 16 - 22, 2011, 6 x 6 in, mixed media on panel

So, I'm going to come right out and admit it - I'm a little superstitious. Working on mini 13, I kept expecting to accidentally spill paint on it, drop it face down, smear it, etc. Perhaps to counteract my natural, superstitious tendency, I picked an especially ambitious project for mini 13. I attempted to fuse some of the most successful elements from previous minis: the panel preparation and varnishing from mini 6, with the layering technique from mini 7, and the palette and tracery from mini 10. Though there are elelments that I still need to perfect, I'm pretty happy with the result, (and no, I have not dropped the panel so far - knock on wood).

I had several additional projects going this week. One was a panel for the silent auction benefit for the Gertrude Herbert Institute of art next week and another was a work on paper dealing with the same theme as mini 12, which I ended up taping to the floor to work on (long story). With about four different projects in process, my studio is beginning to look like an art bomb went off. It defies description, so I've included a picture below.

Fortunately, the minis have escaped the chaos unscathed.