Monday, January 16, 2012

mini 24

Miniature #24 - January 9 - 15, 2012, 5.5 x 4.5 in. (covers), ink on paper


Mini 24 is probably the most ambitious mini-project yet (particularly because I was out of town for the first part of the week, more on that later).  I confess that I’m triple-dipping on this one - I'll be demonstrating this bookmaking technique to my class later this week and needed a demo.  I'll also be demonstrating the “trying to keep lines parallel” technique that's inside the book (though without the ants).  The spine of the book is removable so it can be read either as an accordion or as a traditional book and in either direction (pretty cool, right?)  I first learned bookmaking as an undergraduate from one of my favorite teachers, though I wasn't exactly happy about it at the time (book building requires a lot of neatness, and that's something I've had to practice and learn over time).  I've grown to appreciate it more and hope to continue to improve.  (Plus, I discovered that the combination of bookmaking + audiobook can make even the driest Russian novel almost enjoyable - almost).



Miniature #24 - January 9 - 15, 2012, 5.5 x 4.5 in. (covers), ink on paper

For the first part of the week, I was in New York presenting a paper for school.  Before leaving, I used the trip as an excuse to do one of my favorite things - purchase “travel-size” toiletries to add to my collection (see the picture with my assistant for scale).  I also got a chance to go to the art store in New York for some miniature art supplies (available in bulk, believe it or not).  Fortunately, they're light and fit in my carry-on only luggage - which is a good thing, considering my journey home involved the typical - leave at 5 am-add an extra segment-run through the airport-arrive just in time to head to work (bah - ok, rant concluded).  In addition to seeing friends and family, one of the highlights of my trit p was seeing an exhibition, XS at the Metropolitan Museum of Art – a whole show of miniature artworks by some of the heavy-hitters of Modernism and Post-modernism!  (I confess - I jumped up and down a little bit when I came across it unexpectedly).  Overall it was a great week, though I’m happy to be back in my tiny house (with some additional travel bottles, mini art supplies, and a new book, that is).