Monday, May 14, 2012

mini 41

Miniature #41 - May 7 - 13, 2012, 1.5 x 2.25 in, oil on panel
I decided it was time to pay for my mini-sin of going slightly over the size limit with #40 by making #41 super tiny (and shiny - because with all the neon going on lately, I've been longing for shiny; so, #41 has a lovely, gold background and is highly varnished).  Through the project, one thing I've noticed is that any time the work starts to change quickly, I tend to pull back and make a bird. I think birds may be my form of Deleuzian Repetition (while any phrase with a person's name used as an adjective and random Capitalization seems kind of obnoxious, it's really a good description and not as intimidating as it sounds - it's a theory that to move forward into something new, a person has to rethink something they already know; I think of it as a kind of mental refrain between verses of novelty). 

in process photo, May 14, 2012
I've also been working on what is possibly the weirdest big painting I've made in a while (see process photo).  I'm not sure what I think about this one yet (Max Ernst + Gothic manuscript = ?)  Mostly I'm just happy to have gotten this much done in about 2 weeks (which for me, is really, really fast.)  I usually don't document until a work is finished, but I'm about to  make a big change with this (covering the entire surface with a layer of black and then pulling it back in certain areas - rewarding but risky) so I wanted to document it "just in case." 

the cathedral, 36 x 36, 2012

I also have some good news - I got some "yes" responses this week (yay for art yeses!)  I'll be talking about the Power in Precision Project, and it's interaction with my reading of Lacan's mirror-phase at the Southeastern College Art Conference next December, and I'll also have a full-scale work (the cathedral, which I finished about a month ago) will be included in the juried exhibition accompanying the conference!  I'm very excited that the work is making its way out there - slowly but surely (and for the chance to talk about philosophy and art theory to a semi-captive audience - cue evil laughter..... mwhahahahaha).