Monday, May 21, 2012

mini 42

It's been a very arty week here in tinyland...

Miniature #42 - May 14 - 20, 2012, 3.5 x 5 in, acrylic on canvas
Mini 42 is a reversible diptych (I know - it's a bit of a gimmick, but at least it's a good one, right?)
A funny story about mini 42 - 

I got myself a present this week. It may have taken me about a second to reach its limitations (rolling double stops are a no-go), but it's miniature and turquoise and has shiny parts (ah - love-filled sigh). So, obviously, I'm pretty excited about this (I may have made a little squeek while opening the box, which also included a cable, with a head that's at a right angle (brilliant) and long enough for me to walk around with (yay), but I won't subject you to a photo of that, because it's not nearly as cute.)  Now, you may be wondering - how does this relate to mini 42 (apart from the tiny-goodness)?  I painted mini 42 in sepia tones first, then agonized all week about what colors to use (which is odd, because I usually know exactly what colors I want).  Eventually, I chose aqua and gold and pink (a similar palette to mini 25).  Aqua/turquoise is one of my favorite colors (along with yellow and carmine and french ultramarine and black and white stripes...yes, I do sometimes wonder if asking my favorite color is like asking a mother which of her children she loves the most).  Until I downloaded the photos for this week, I thought I had "spontaneously" chosen aqua for the mini; then I saw that it just happens to be the exact same color as the amp.  Included in the same box - an illustrated book - on parrots (oh the subconscious/conscious divide - it's a slippery slope indeed).

In other news, I made a non-mini mini.  I finished it, then decided that it doesn't really count (it's 7.5 x 7.5 inches - not mini enough for me).  Apparently, I'm willing to let a few decimal places slide, but not a whole number.  So, I discovered the boundaries of the project, and also ended up with a small (but not mini) painting.  I know butterflies may be considered cliche (though I would like to add that butterflies themselves aren't really trite, only the way they're presented), but moving right along - fun factoid - the word for butterfly in Greek is the same as the word for soul, and ghosts are sometimes depicted as having butterfly wings in Greek ceramic paintings. 



The painting also gave me the opportunity to practice varnishing. I find varnishing tricky because it's basically a one shot deal, and it has to be done within the limits of the drying time (which depending on the varnish, can be very short and difficult to predict exactly.)  The larger the painting, generally the more difficult it is to varnish it evenly, so naturally, I decided that the large wings painting really needed a varnish (of course)  I practiced on the non-mini mini (and it's the most lovely varnish I've ever done.  I was so excited that I tool a picture - lots of pictures this week.) The wings varnish worked out fine, and I was so relieved that I went ahead and put the dark coating over the death and the maiden painting (so far, so good). I also visited an awesome gallery and submitted a packet this morning (fingers crossed) and (not to jinx it), but I think I may have the chance to show the minis.  
and just in case Krylon ever decides to offer corporate sponsorship...
If you've made it this far in the post, thank you for your fortitude! It's been a very arty week here in tinyland (the best kind :) ).