Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Phase 4 - acknowledge limits






The studio is ready!!! (see the early during, late during, after). I feel this is a major time/space happiness moment in the Tempus Fugit  project! Getting the studio set up is part of phase 4 - acknowledge limits in terms of space/time for art because, at the moment, my art stuff is taking over my space. I can't believe I have a dedicated space for art-making (with walls that go to the ceiling and a door, and, bonus, a closet!!), but I also need to consolidate - hopefully, having my materials organized and at hand will help me use art-time more efficiently (and also help me keep the rest of the house clean!)



I went to figure drawing again. I'm not sure it was the right decision - I had a scheduling conflict with the end of the session, then at the last minute something came up at home (it involved calling the plumber - sadness) so I was late. I was trying a new technique - working on a spray primed surface, and the materials didn't take quite the way I thought they would. In terms of limits - maybe it was not the best time to try something new? Looking at the drawings, they're not that bad for 15 - 25 minute poses (and I composed to the corrugation line better - thumbs up) and, of course, I had more fun by going for the time I could than not going...hmmmm.

But it brings me back to phase 4 with a thought about not being able to be in more than one place at a time. According to theorists Deleuze and Guattari the real is a reduction of the virtual - which I interpret to mean that so many things are possible, but only one can be real at a time (as in - there are many options for arranging the furniture in the house of possibility, but one can only sit in a particular chair in a particular spot at any given time.) Limits aren't always a bad thing, they can provide structure, but I always want to do so many different things that it can be hard to know what/when to let go.

I made another doll this week. I think I may have spent a little too much time looking at this: Giacometti's hands holding the void, (which has a big crack across the legs and is beautiful in it's imperfection), but the dolls seem to have a different relationship to the idea of mass production. I feel like that's part of what makes them a little disturbing - the cobbling together of generic and unique.  By using discarded and cheap material, all mass produced, and turning it into unique objects through "artness," I think I'm trying to convert it from "standing reserve" (stuff to be used up and then discarded) back into something that at least has the potential to be special/beautiful.  Not sure it's working yet...

Listening to Through the Looking Glass (again,) and The Wizard of Oz (again), but also assigned reading of Heidegger (scary!) If I needed to give one up - guess which one it would be ;). For phase 4, I'll be giving some more thought to the question - when is giving up is the right thing to do?