Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Kittens!

A busy week in Artlandia!  

First, the art - I finished the first of the love bird and rose bush collages - thumbs up!

Work continues on the large drapery block

I finished the sphinx and snail collage.

Some work was accomplished...but I got a big surprise this week too...
So to make a long story short - during the winter I had applied to more than one rescue organization to adopt a kitten.  When I was approved to adopted Mo, I called back the other organizations to say that I had found a wonderful kitten; so, I was a little surprised to get a call about a kitten in need of a home, but said yes to meeting him... (can we guess how this story ends?)

I thought about it overnight just to be sure, but Mo and Mini have bonded so well that I thought it would be ok to add one sweet, docile kitten to our creature family.  Apart from buying and setting up an additional litter box and checking on a few vet details, there really wasn't much I needed to do to prepare at home...

Welcome our newest addition! I didn't have a name picked out, so I'm not sure yet, but I'm thinking either Mack or Max (short for Maximilian in honor of one of my favorite artworks - Durer's triumphal arch of Maximilian.)  He's a gentle, fluffy, all black kitten who I strongly suspect based on his double coat and lynx tipped ears is at least partly Maine Coon. It's been a big adjustment for him, and at first he was very frightened, but he seems to be gradually coming out of his shell. He and Mo are fast friends, and I'm so happy to watch them play together. 







I think Mini knew he was scared and gave him some space at first. She is a wonderful big sister, checking in on the kittens and watching them from a little distance.  I think she's happy that Mo has a little sibling to play with now, so he can expend his energy playing with his brother then come over by her to rest.
Mini and Max touching noses
Already captured all 3 together!
In other creature news, the creature's grandma sent us a present! It's a gate within a gate and all three took to it right away (*Max is not ready to come downstairs yet, and it may be quite a while before he and Honey meet.)
...and notice Mo in the background on Honey's bed...

Mo has decided that he belongs in the middle of Honey's bed, and she graciously allows it.   
Honey Good Girl.











I am beginning to suspect that Momiji may be an Alpha-kitty in training.  He loves to be held and cuddled, and this week, he started to ride on my shoulder. He takes his role as Feline Assistant, Jr. very seriously.



Admittedly, I spent a great deal of time playing with the kittens this week, but I also went on some adventures with Honey - landscape shots!



 The last 2 are not from walks with Honey, but instead from a walk I took near Rosendale, NY after attending an excellent opening and slide night at Women's Studio Workshop

We close with a bouquet from the garden in a pretty davistudio vase - onward!