Sunday, March 2, 2014

phase 2 redux - observe the laws of equivalent exchange, wrap up

"I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer."
                                                                                                                     - Nietzsche, The Gay Science
Amor Fati - a science fair backboard put to good use ;)
Funny thing - I set out to make an Amor. Couldn't. Made Fati instead. Then recognized a connection between the two - Amor Fati, from The Gay Science, hahaha! I listened to this last spring on audiobook (free from Librivox as "Joyful Wisdom," a different translation of the same title: https://librivox.org/the-joyful-wisdom-by-friedrich-nietzsche/ ). I think this is really funny and corresponds well with my concept of "Unhope." The black background is a tri-fold science fair backboard. I think it's a good way of turning something mass produced (and honestly, associated with unpleasant memories for most people ;)), into something particular and special. It's also funny to me because it shows what I would offer up in place of scientific knowledge (there is no STEM field career in my future I'm afraid ;)).

I kid, but in all seriousness, I think this is the conclusion of phase 2 redux - observe the laws of equivalent exchange. I feel like I made some good exchanges - for example, instead of cutting the foam core backing into specific shapes like with Eros et Thanatos, which was time-consuming, boring, and involved lots work with an exacto knife (always risky for the clumsy :p), I used the tri-fold board and let it be what it is. It works well and reinforces my ideas about general vs. specific, manufactured vs. hand-made, and seen vs. unseen sources of knowledge. 

For other things, I find exchange is not possible because there is no equivalent. I just read a good example in The Ocean at the End of the Lane, by Neil Gaiman. The main character's kitten dies, and a visitor makes a well-intentioned but misguided effort to offer a different cat in its place. In cases where exchange is not possible, I think there is still unhope - the capacity to love what is present (even if what is present is memory/absence). 

Enough philosophizing - more pictures! I also tried printing the bunny - tried (sigh).

bunnies, bunnies, everywhere

I wasn't entirely successful at printing them.
The block is too big to be hand printed easily (at least by me ;)),
and the water- based ink was drying too fast for me to cover the block evenly,
 even with extender :( (will have to rethink this and try again later).
but I got enough to get an idea of what the print might look like if  I were able to print it,
and I will find a use for some of these prints, which remind me of the "ghost animals" I was working on
 earlier this winter.
I also cut out the fish, drew on them with black color pencil, and added silver ink to the eyes.
I've been trying different papers in the background, and, so far, this is my favorite.
Mmmmmm - goldfish
Do I dress to match my artwork or does my artwork match the things I already encounter in life?
Not sure, but I do enjoy the ultramarine headphones ;)