Monday, July 24, 2017

frog, lizard, waterfalls

 A busy week in Artlandia!

First, I cut out and collaged together the rose branch and roses (and felt vindicated - it was worth it to re-print the roses 3 times to get the marbling and ink colors juuuuuust right - thumb up!)

Then, I started sewing together the pieces then sewing them down to the ground of the pseudo-tapestry.

This is a good example of sewing the parts of the plant and any rocks and/or animals touching it together.

Then the whole thing gets glued, ironed, and sewn down to the ground.

 Oh my.  I've finished (*unless I add anything) the first, front-most piece.

I've started gathering and positioning the pieces on the second horizontal band, and, of course, I decided it needed just a little something.

First, I carved this adorable little frog (and then re-printed it on slightly "less cyan-y" paper when the color didn't work out the first go round (doh.))

I did end up using the frog, but it wasn't quite right for the spot I was thinking...

Then, I thought of one of my favorites - Martin Schongauer's The Flight into Egypt, and it's awesome lizards. I suspect Durer liked the lizard too - to me, the lizard in his Knight, the Devil and Death, 1513 looks similar.
Martin Schongauer, The Flight into Egypt, 1470-90
Albrecht Durer, Knight, Death and the Devil, 1513,_Death_and_the_Devil
For comparison, with the Durer flipped 
(since copying from a print onto a plate 
would result in a mirror image)
Schongauer top, Durer below
So I made a tiny lizard in tribute :)

Because so much time this week went to focusing on the miniature (tiny stitching, tiny blocks), Honey and I went on an adventure to see something big - her first trip to High Falls! She really seemed to enjoy it (look at that happy face!)


 And in para-art news, I think the garden might be at maximum bloom:

And! Last, but never least, I had excellent feline assistance (not one, but two kitties on the press bed - Eep!)