Monday, August 25, 2014

zodiac

This week, I carved the signs of the zodiac.
[a voice of reason asks:] "The whole thing?"
 - Yes, the whole thing (oy.)



Aquarius

Pisces

Aries

Taurus

Gemini

Cances

Leo

Virgo

Libra

Scorpio

Sagittarius

Capricorn
 These are small (but mighty ;)) - 1.75" in diameter (my fingers show the scale and a preparatory drawing).

I know I said I was going to slow down on carving (cough, cough, denial, cough, cough), but then, I got new tools... a little self-bribery was necessary to get through week 3 of the phase 4 block project, and I promised myself some new tools when I finished the project...

Up to now, I've been using mostly very inexpensive (i.e. costing less than a fancy cup of coffee) tools. They've served me well, but I was running into problems in the finer, more delicate areas. My new beauuuutiful, Japanese tiny tools and sharpening stone arrived Monday, and I couldn't help myself - I just had to see what they could do...

I worked on some other pieces and had additional art adventures this week, but right now, I'm so happy that I met my personal goal of finishing (and printing, and photographing) these this week, that I'm going to take a break (and possibly a nap ;))...